Underdog Phenomenon

To be an underdog, for me, meant a lot for way too long of a time. To come up from the bottom and end up on top. First it was being in a family that would definitely put me in the "bottom" category- no one had ever been to college, and almost everyone was way more interested in drugs or drinking than success. I wanted so badly to become an engineer and impress everyone in my family, clawing my way up to the top. Once I was in college, I was miserable, not doing well, and shaping up to be an underdog that would never actually end up winning. I needed to redefine what success meant to me, and decided I didn't need to be at the top. I was content to be in the middle, and that's all that really mattered. My own approval is all I needed. Realizing that was, in a way, a success in itself for me.

Comments